Friday, February 10, 2012

Fly of the week

This fly has caught more fish and different types of fish then probably all other flies. This week its the Wooly Bugger. A fly for almost all conditions and waters. The biggest difficulty can be choosing the colors, the size, and the speed that you strip them. I have caught some of my biggest Brown and Rainbow Trout on these.
Recipe:
Hook: 5263BL, sizes 4-16 yes I do tie them that small.
Head:bead; size and color weight of your choice, or none.
Thread: to match abdomen or contrast. You can also add some flash if you want.
Rib: Gold wire if desired
Abdomen: Black chenille, white chenille, Brown chenille
Hackle: black or colored to match abdomen, palmered.

Tips: personally I like the black unweighted version as I can fish it like a leech or a small bait fish. I have also had good luck with a black and pink coloration on it as shown below.






No comments:

Post a Comment